November 30, 2010

Screw Shoes!

(I don't remember if i previously posted this in my now-defunct Vox blog.  It doesn't really matter; i still think it's relevant enough to post regardless.) 

With snowfall in the forecast for the next few days, it's time to "winterize" my running shoes.  Since i'm too cheap to spring for Yaktrax or a similar product, i'm relegated to a DIY solution.

The first time i heard about the "screw shoe" concept was in Runner's World magazine from over a year ago (i read it in the physical magazine, but the same article can be found online).  The idea is simple: screw on some sheet metal screws (they essentially function as studs) to the soles of your regular running shoes to increase traction in the snow and ice.  I don't know about other running shoes, but the bottom of my Mizuno Wave Inspire 6s aren't really suited for running in those conditions.

The bald sole.

I used "screw shoes" through the winter and early spring from 2009-2010.  While i've been fortunate enough to never have fallen even without the screws, i do think they enhance the "grip" when the sidewalks turns slick. 

The most essential parts of the project are the actual sheet metal screws, sized 1/2" and 3/8".  I got these from the local Menard's for $0.99 per packet.  



There might be a "manual" way to put the screws in; fortunately i have an electric drill laying around (received as a gift from a friend 5 years ago) and an appropriate bit holder in my generic toolbox.


The screws are a perfect fit!

It then only takes 5-10 minutes to screw them on, and voila!  Screw shoes!

The finished product.

I put in a total of 20 screws per shoe.  Of course the number varies according to personal preference but in this case i think more is better.  I already saved money on the project itself; no point scrimping on pennies just to save a few screws.  

I used the half-inchers for the heel and the periphery of the forefoot and used the shorter ones for the rest.  As thick as the soles on the Mizunos are, i don't think it'd be a problem to use half-inchers for everything, but why take the chance of puncturing my feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment