February 19, 2011

Rude, Lazy, Disengaged

I saw it on Good Morning America a few days ago (link to ABC News here).  A teacher in Pennsylvania named Natalie Munroe was excessively candid in her blog (which has since been taken down and replaced with this one) and called some of her students "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners."  Other quotable quotes in describing the students in question include, "although academically okay, your child has no other redeeming qualities," and "a complete and utter jerk in all ways."

I take exception to this.  I was never a whiner.

I can however attest to the fact that i truly was a complete and utter jerk to most of my teachers in high school.  I thought i was cooler, smarter, and had more money than those losers standing up front.  I am now of course older and wiser (please click here for context), but this in no way mitigates my abhorrent behavior in my younger years.

Whether how i acted is a fair representation of all high school students or not is a moot point, because let's face it: kids can be a-holes.  Sometimes - que horror! - they might even pick this up from their overprotective parents.  So instead of shooting the messenger who tells us what we already know, we should reflect on the message and figure out how we can make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment