October 23, 2011

The Source

In all honesty, things have not been right since the marathon.  Little aches and pains have been popping up here and there with annoying regularity.  But the worst has been my left Achilles tendon.  It first hit me in May, a little before the Riverbank Run.  Since then i've tried NSAIDs, ice, and prolonged (up to two weeks) rest, all to no avail.  Two weeks ago i finally relented and went back to see the Orthopedic surgeon.  He set me up for an MRI, and finally found Achilles tendinosis.

Not being an orthopod myself, i had to go look it up (do not click this link if you're squeamish, as it contains pictures of someone's ankle being dissected).  Apparently it's a chronic condition associated with gradual degeneration of the Achilles tendon, resulting from microtears related to overuse.  

It's more than a little disappointing to me, as i've previously speculated that i may just not be built for the activity that i've come to love - running.  Well, at least i don't have to have surgery (yet)... for now i'll be going to physical therapy, hopefully to rehab the injury away and get me back up and running (pun intended).  Maybe, just maybe - i'll be able to do the 25k in the spring before we move to Pittsburgh.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment