February 19, 2012

Concussion Update

The second time i saw the neuropsychologist, he gave me the green light to work.  (Incidentally, he also said i could start skiing again!)

So i worked the 4-12 shift this past week, and i think i'm getting close to functioning at 100%.  I've had normal interactions with patients, and i'm able to extract the relevant parts of the history, integrate them with the physical exam and ancillary studies, and come up with a reasonable diagnosis and plan.  My main issue is a persistent "fogginess" to my thought process; that is, needing to exert a little more energy to be able to focus.  It's not unlike the feeling one gets after working 24 hours straight, and it's a good thing that my residency trained me to work under those exact conditions.  

Another problem is multitasking, in that i have to completely concentrate on finishing one thing before paying attention to another lest i forget what i'm doing (although this may have been a pre-exisiting issue that i'm just more aware of now).  The underlying knowledge base and decision-making ability otherwise seem to be completely intact.  Despite my rising confidence in my post-concussive abilities, i'm still thankful that the inherent redundancy in what i do (e.g. the resident/APP sees the patient before i do, and my partner rounds on him/her several hours later) ensures that nothing gets missed.  

My mental picture of what happened closely match the way my doctors explained it: my brain was so severely rattled by the fall that the connections between my personality and my memory were completely ripped apart for a few hours (hence the six hours that i can't remember).  Since then, the connections have started to reform, albeit at a glacial pace.  While i'm frustrated that it seems to be taking forever, i'm told that i'm progressing as expected.  Patience, grasshopper... it'll get better eventually.  

My normal CT scan.  Proof that i have a brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment