October 30, 2019

The Dugyot From Way Back

Since early high school, i've been One Who Writes.  Not well, nor prolifically, but enough to make my thoughts known and make ME happy.  In 2005, i discovered blogging and became an avid blogger on the website doktorko.com.  Shortly after that, i made the jump to a website called vox.com.  Over the years, i generated over a hundred blogposts.  In 2010, after turning into a Google fanboy, i decided to move to blogger.com.

Alas, shortly after i moved to blogger, both doktorko and vox shut down, taking all my posts with them.  Unfortunately, even though i had multiple opportunities to migrate/save my data, i procrastinated until they eventually ended up in oblivion.  Years of writing, gone JUST LIKE THAT.

I grieved over the loss.  In my opinion, i had written some pretty decent posts over the years, but they were never to be seen again.

Recently though, i discovered the Wayback Machine.  I had no idea such a thing even existed, but apparently it's archived the internet over the past few decades.  I dared to hope that it archived doktorko and vox, and gingerly typed in my vaguely-remembered URLs for my blogs.

I am happy to report that i achieved SUCCESS!  While i wasn't able to save everything, i was able to extract 96 blogposts from those two sites.  I copied and pasted the content into my "new" blog - Dugyot From Way Back (the observant reader will note that the URL is completely different... that's because the initial iteration of this blogsite was supposed to be entitled "The Rhythm Strip," but i eventually decided that "Dugyot" was more apropos).

I realize that nobody really cares, but i am extremely glad/grateful/ecstatic that i was able to resurrect some old "gems" like The Animal Story, the Medical Miseducation series, and the Turista series.

Since the initial blogposts were written "op-ed" style, i feel like it would be best to present them in chronological (oldest to newest) order.  Many of the links are broken, and i was unable to recreate the images and videos on the original sites, but at least the content is still there, and i hope the omissions don't detract too much from the overall experience. 

After i read through the posts, i realized - much to my dismay - that i have mutated from an idealogue to a pragmatist.  Honestly this made me sad and a little bit angry.  I feel/hope that the idealist in me is still there somewhere and comes back out once life settles down a little bit more (no further details forthcoming).

No comments:

Post a Comment