December 13, 2010

Sit and Spin!

I went to my very first spin class at East Hills Athletic Club tonight.  Consider my butt kicked. 

I actually thought that i had achieved a decent level of fitness with my running efforts.  Tonight's experience was a stark reminder that i have little or no athletic ability.  I could keep up with maybe only 50% of what was going on.  The only thing that kept my legs pumping was the determination to at least finish and not slink away with my tail between my legs, especially since Mark (our instructor for the night) was nice enough to point out to everyone that it was my first time.  In perspective, it was actually a good thing that he did that - otherwise i would have walked out halfway into the workout with no one the wiser. 

Maybe it wasn't all that bad.  It felt like one of the weekly speedwork sessions i had to go through while i was training for the marathon, with my legs turning to jelly and my heart racing at a mile a minute.  Honestly, i did like it enough that i want to do another one.  Maybe if i get the hang of it i'll buy a real bike and start training for a duathlon.  Anything's possible. 

In other news, after a week of not running (i only did a grand total of 2 miles last week), my right shin no longer hurts.  I think i'll go for an easy run tomorrow. 

Taken from http://ehac.com.  That's Mark in the middle.  Quoting Wayne and Garth: "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"




2 comments:

  1. well, I agree with the not worthy part. I call it the SPIN NAZI photo. I digress, you caught on. I find the best strategy for keeping unsuspecting newbies in the class for the hour is to call them out and tell them how great they are doing during the class, even if their knees are rubber and the drool mixes in with the sweaty mess on the floor. What a great time!

    In all seriousness I believe ANYONE who can make it through a solid hour of one of my classes is a ROCK STAR... nice going, Doc.

    Time for a shameless plug... want a good workout? www.themac-ehac.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chongkee, I went to a spin class in my gym too. It totally killed me, and I also think I'm pretty fit... well, fit for most girls my age. I survived the entire class although at times I wanted to jump off the fake bike because my heart was ready to explode.

    But the worst part was how much the seat hurt. Ow! Ow! Ow!!! Di ako makalakad ng tuwid for 3 days. Guess how many stupid sexual innuendo jokes I got from my friends after that... :P Sadly I never went back coz I quit the gym. :(

    ReplyDelete