February 27, 2017

1:31:01 AKA The Incidental Runner

This past weekend was just supposed to be a relaxing long-weekend-cum-short-vacation.  We spent a few days in Hawaii, did all the touristy things, and met up with an old friend.  However, while on the tour bus, it came to our attention that there was a little event going on on Presidents' Day called the Great Aloha Run.  Apparently it was a big deal around those parts.  After doing a little research on it (mainly to determine the distance, since I was incidentally planning to do a long run on that day anyway), I said what the hey, why not?, signed up, and ummm... ran with it.

I finished the 8.15 mile course in 1:31:01.


I'm actually somewhat disappointed with my time.  Since I'm gunning for a 10K in a few weeks, i was hoping to at least finish this race in under 1:30.  Interestingly, my mapmyrun app reported that I actually ran a MUCH longer race at 8.61 miles.


I ran almost half a mile more.  Ridiculous!  I guess if i want to clock in better times i'm going to have to learn to run the tangents better.  I suspect that bathroom break around mile 6.5 didn't really help either.  Oh well.  Not bad, i suppose, considering that i did not prepare in any way, shape, or form for the race.  Not to mention the relative warmth and humidity.  Nor the upper respiratory infection i was nursing.  Nor the big tonkatsu dinner i had the night before.  Excuses galore!  Let's see how well i do on that upcoming 10K; hopefully i won't have to come up with any excuses for that one.

Here are some pics:

Hanging loose before the start of the race.  Despite my expression, i was not under the influence of any substance.
The requisite selfie at the starting line.  Kid, why are you photobombing me?
Close to the finish, i identified a photo op, and posed like a real runner.
Done!
Requisite selfie at the finish, in the Aloha Stadium.
A little bit of wishful thinking when i wrote down my time.  Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment